About Me

My photo
I am now 49 am also an Amazon Associate. When I started this blog, I was 37. My wife and I have 4 kids between us. Three kids are grown and on their own. The last one at home is now 17. We still have two dogs; they are Tucker and Timber. We also have 13 chickens.

Monday, April 12, 2010

A Book I'm Reading

For the last couple weeks, I have been working on the book "The Wilderness Warrior-Theodore Roosevelt and the Crusade for America." This is about his interest in birds, animals, and preserving America's beauty. The one thing that impresses me early on is his interest in taxidermy. At age 10, he was collecting birds for his museum. He had detailed records of birds, that impressed some naturalists of the time. He looked up to Audubon. I am troubled to learn that at that age and into his teens he also study and admired Darwin. I am not so sure his belief in evolution held up over time, or maybe I am hoping it didn't.
The one thing about T.R, is that he was a man of action. After he was beat-up by bullies at Moosehead Lake, he made sure it never happened again. He immediately started working out, and engaging in strenuous activities. He never let asthma hold him back.
Anyway, that is enough for now. But for being an autobiography, as with all the Roosevelt novels I've read, its just like reading an novel..........Stayed tuned for more.

4 comments:

  1. Just checking in to see how this Ol' Axe is doing. I love the updates!
    Our boys seem to enjoy reading about Theodore Roosevelt too, not to mention your brother. Sounds like a good book. Happy Tuesday~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good book. Long...800 pages. Anyway I will get back to work on the axe soon. I need a wire wheel, but can work on the handle now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It always amazes me how both you and Joe are so interested in reading books on politics and American history in general. You sure didn't get that from me as I have never been that much into either of those subjects and I know for sure you didn't get it from your dad. Well you probably got the love of reading in general from me, as we are from a family of readers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. for got to say I like you new blog layout, good choice!

    ReplyDelete