About Me

My photo
I am now 49 am also an Amazon Associate. When I started this blog, I was 37. My wife and I have 4 kids between us. Three kids are grown and on their own. The last one at home is now 17. We still have two dogs; they are Tucker and Timber. We also have 13 chickens.

Saturday, June 24, 2023

A Return to Work and a New Perspective

After my follow up on Monday, my doctor released me from any restrictions. He supported my request to ramp in the work hours for the next couple of weeks. So I returned to work on Wednesday. I worked Wednesday-Friday 4 hours each day. With some of the aliments still lingering, I wanted to see how I would hold up. The answer? I held up ok. Some pain in areas but not too bad overall. Next week I go to 6 hour days so we will see how that goes.
 I had plenty of people welcome me back and mentioned that I looked so much better. Of course, that always makes a person feel good. 
 Now I start in a new area. I have a person that does the mold setting and other things, so that will let me focus on my actual supervisor responsibilities. This leads to a new perspective. Things like, how can I make this area better?  What does the team want to accomplish? How do we stand out as one of the top bays in the building? 

 This gives me a chance to utilize my years of experience and make a difference. It has to be done in the right way. 
 There is a lot of mistrust with management right now and seems like morale is low on the production floor. To lift morale in my bay, I need to earn the trust from my team. They need to see that I will go to bat for them whenever possible, stand my ground with management and hold them accountable when needed. Management needs to walk the walk.
 I may lose some battles, but I will make a lot of noise doing so. At least, in my own sensible way. 

 From what I can see, getting management to walk the walk will take time. What I can have a direct impact on is how I go about my business. Organized, clean and attention to detail. It starts just by picking up, wiping machines down, sweeping the floor, responded to quality issues in the appropriate manner, etc. 
 That is all I have on this right now. I could go on and on, but it would be redundant and boring. I'll update as I get more settled in. 


1 comment:

  1. Mom here. Good Attitude to have going forward Brian. May the force be with you!

    ReplyDelete